Saturday 11 April 2009

To whom shall we go?

Lord, to whom shall we go?
Good Friday evening was spent reflecting Peter's pre-Easter statement of commitment and how it might be then reinterrpeted in the aftermath of the crucifxion by various characters

'Lord to whom shall we go.' But what do the words of eternal life mean when their voice has been silenced by the cross and eternal life is buried in the grave.

As well as 7 minutes of Peter Gabriels' emotional 'Passion' taken from the score for The Last Temptation, we heard from a variety of characters including John, Peter, Mary and this from Joseph of Arimathea.



He can have my grave:
It is the least that I can do
now that he’s gone.

They’ll say I could’ve done much more to help the Galilean
They’ll say that when he needed friends in some high office
I was the one man who could’ve stood up
Who should’ve made a difference:
And they’ll be right.

Oh for sure I cast my vote against the Council
But did I really think that that would save him?

No doubt some kind folk will defend me
And say they don’t believe that anything I could’ve said or done
Would’ve changed the heart and mind of those intent upon his death
And they may be right as well.

To fight for him may well have made no difference to his death
But it would have changed my life.

I would know myself to be a man of courage and conviction
A man prepared to risk it all for what in faith he hoped was true.

Dear knows I’ve waited long enough
For the Kingdom of Heaven to come.
I’ve prayed to be alive in the reign of the Messiah.
I believed he was the one.
For all I hesitated,
For all I questioned,
For all I followed from a distance
He knew that I wanted to believe in him.

But now everything is over.
And I don’t want to believe that is done.
There should’ve been more time.
For him
For us.
For me.

To whom shall I go now?
In whom shall I place my hopes of heaven?

He can have my grave
Because there’s nowhere else for him to go now.

He can have my grave:
Because I could not take the risk of giving him my life.

No comments: