Monday 25 May 2009

Voices from the Grave and MP's Expenses

The Oran Chapel on Iona stands in the middle of a graveyard: it is the final resting place of numerous kings and nobles, but last week I was again drawn to the grave of John Smith, the former Labour Party leader, who loved the island. In a week of ongoing revelations from the daily Telegraph about the the lives and purses of our MP's, it was salutory to re-read his epitaph:
"An honest man's the noblest work of God". .

I know that many MP's expenses will be legitimate, within the rules of the Parliament and even in the eyes of heaven, and I am not convinced that the self righteous indignation of the Telegraph comes from any higher a motive than the same taudry hopes of increased revenue that have inspired the more dubious MP's expense claims. I also know not to judge too much, lest I be judged accordingly. But it seems to me that the greatest Labour Prime Minster this country never had, still has comment to make on the politics and politicians of today.

No comments: