Tuesday 1 September 2009

I will believe the truth about myself ... no matter how beautiful it is.

.
I always enjoy keeping up to date with the life of my friend at Stuart's Nicaraguan Blog. On a recent post he mentioned reading Macrina Wiederkehr's book, Seven Sacred Pauses. Book recommendations from blogs is costing me a fortune, but this purchase was well worth it, for within its pages is this most wonderful and challenging prayer. I have been using it for several days now and it pulls me to new depths every time I try to say it.


I will believe the truth about myself
no matter how beautiful it is:


I believe in my power
to transform indifference into love
I believe I have an amazing gift
to keep hope alive in the face of despair.
I believe I have the remarkable skill
of deleting bitterness from my life.
I believe in my budding potential
to live with a nonviolent heart.
I believe in my passion to speak the Truth
even when it isn't popular.
I believe I have the strength of will
to be peace in a world of violence.
I believe in my miraculous capacity
for unconditional love.




I believe the truth about myself
no matter how beautiful it is.


2 comments:

jim Gordon said...

Hi Craig. My question is, who is this prayer addressed to? I suppose I am a wee bit troubled by the lack of reference beyond the self as its own resource.

Craig Gardiner said...

I thought someone would be, as was i, but it is prayed in the context of the seven hours of Christian prayer, where there is an understanding of the divine other acting and empowering the self to become its true self.