Thursday 20 August 2009

Either you go or I do.

'Either you go or I do' is not so much a threatening ultimatum in this case as it is a fact of life and particularly one of ordained ministry. Today I and some others had lunch with a pastor friend who is off to pastures new. I have known him for about seven years during which time it has been a privilege to share some journeys together, both physical, spiritual and theological.

Of course I am sad to see him leave my immediate circle of friends in South Wales, but I am excited about where he is going and the new opportunities he will have there. I guess it is just a fact of ministry that almost inevitably and eventually one or more of us will go somewhere other than where we are now ... its either going to be him, or her, or me.

Saying goodbye today reminded me again of why I gave this blog the title that I did:
It comes from the liturgy of the Iona Community:

In work and worship
God is with us
Gathered and Scattered
God is with us
Now and always
God is with us.

May you go well my good friend Ashley
and may God be with us all.

1 comment:

Simon Woodman said...

Bye Ashley!
See you at Assembly...
Simon.