Thursday 20 August 2009

If you build it they will come


On Tuesday I had one of those days that lifts a pastor's heart (or not)... all the things of God they taught me in College found their place in life ... (or not). I spent the morning talking with some very nice solicitors about whether or not our neighbours can have exit rights over our church property and the rest of the pre lunch period opening up the church for architects and engineers to measure and plan the renovation we are working towards at the front of our building. It was all very worthy stuff I am sure, but it wasn't one of the core competencies tested before my ordination nor was it really part of my vocational vision. Of course it is reality and it must be dealt with and yes, God is to found in the midst of it ... but into Tuesday came a heavenly twist.

No sooner had I opened the front door to let the measuring begin, than an elderly gentleman with no prior connection to the church but looking quite distraught came in through the open doors looking to talk to someone. So instead of listening to design specifications I listened as a heartbreaking story unfolded. There was nothing much I could do to put things right, but we prayed and agreed to talk again.

I missed most of the architectural conversation I was there to have ... I got the gist of the summary. What i did have was a conversation that probably did me more good that it did the gentleman who arrived so upset and unannounced ... but it was one where we shared something of life and of God together.

I know I cannot just sit on the steps of church all day waiting for the people just to come my way ... but I did start to wonder how many other conversations go unspoken by the closed doors of the church,
and if somehow we built it differently would they come?

No comments: