Saturday 8 August 2009

IMPROMPTU EUCHARIST

While my Anglican friends are busy issuing health and safety guidelines for the Eucharist (no more common cups until the swine have officially flu) I found myself at a most impromptu celebration of the Lord's Supper this week.


Occasionally I visit a Roman Catholic man who is seriously ill. This was the first time I had seen him since he had moved from home into care.


He was having breakfast when I arrived around 11am. We sat talking about deep things, he sharing his fears and toast with me, I listened and took the occasional nibble at both the buttered slices and the theological concerns being raised.

Then he looked at me and winked:

In the kitchen, the staff have half a bottle of asti spumante for me ... would you like a glass?

I was about to mutter excuses about it only being 11:30 and needing to drive home, until it struck me that this invitation was teetering on the edge of the holy ... this was sacramental.
And so we shared some bread and wine
toast and asti
whatever it was we did it in remembrance of so much and so many

And as I left to go,
I could have sworn I had heard the rustling of angels wings.


1 comment: